Thursday, September 27, 2012

Weekend Trip to Sac Town! (Part 1)

So I decided to visit my friend Chris in Sacramento.  He unfortunately is also in law school and has more classes than I do, so I decided it would be ever so kind of me to drive out for his birthday.  Little did I know that Sacramento is WAY farther from SF than I thought.  I mean its only two hours but that is like a hop, skip, and a jump away and then add an hour road trip.  Regardless I loaded up the car and headed on an adventure.  Also the outlets are on the way so OF COURSE I stopped...

A girl's gotta shop!
I haven't been to Sacramento since I was like 10 years old; for a "tour" of California with the fam.  Chris and his roommate live in a great area of town in this beautiful 1900s wooden home.  It creaks when you walk but there is stained glass everywhere and is huge.

Beautiful Old Homes in Sac-Town
After helping Chris finish a motion for summary judgment (yuck), he decided to treat me for dinner at The Press.  He is a bigger foodie than I am, so I knew it would be fabulous and I would be stuffed.  We sat outside because it was 90 degrees at 8:30 PM.  I got a glass of the house red wine (always the cheapest option and usually pretty good).  I recommend asking restaurants what type of wine it is to determine if you like it - Pinot Noir is my favorite.  Chris got a glass of scotch neat* (he's a "man" and drinks liquor straight).  Then we settled down into the appetizers.

We ordered three apps to share: Fig and Prosciutto (my request and I don't think Chris liked it), Potato Croquettes (tasted just like tater tots), and Fried Meatballs with Greek Yogurt Sauce.  The appetizers were really good, and I was already stuffed but we still ordered more.

Fried Meatballs  w/ Greek Yogurt Sauce
Potato Croquettes
For dinner, I ordered the Beef Short Rib, Red Wine Sauce and Mashed Potatoes.  The Short Rib is so tender and tasted great, but Chris' meal was much better.  The Red Wine Sauce was tasty, but plain and the mashed potatoes were just regular mashed potatoes.  Chris got the Hanger Steak with potato au gratin in a bordelaise sauce.  The potatoes were so good that we got a second order.  Seriously if you only eat one thing get the au gratin.  They are INCREDIBLE - and potatoes are my thing people.  For dessert (yes we were that fatty) we got three scoops of sorbet: cantaloupe, watermelon, and peach.  Very refreshing and tasty.  Then we went back home to get ready for a fun night on the town!

Hanger Steak and Potatoes au Gratin - AMAZING

Short Ribs and Mashed Potatoes...Tastes better than the soup it looks like

Tourist Tip: Eat outside.  Sacramento is always so hot, and the outdoor patio at night is so cute! (And great for people watching)

No comments:

Post a Comment